Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Ethiopians put down roots in Washington to build their largest U.S. community

Restaurants are one path to success for Ethiopian Americans. (State Dept./D.A. Peterson)
When Johannes Argay decided to open a small market selling food and spices from his native Ethiopia, he wasn’t intimidated by all the competition at Build America Plaza in Falls Church, Virginia, where dozens of shops bear orange-and-brown signs in English and Amharic.
“It depends on the quality,” says Argay, who formerly owned a restaurant in New York City. Opening a cooler case, he adds, “This fresh injera especially, we get every morning from Dulles Airport, direct from home. This is the best injera in the city.”
Business owner Johannes Argay at his Showa Baltena Market, in Falls Church, Virginia. Argay’s store sells Ethiopian food and spices — and organic food grown on all-American Amish farms. (State Dept./D.A. Peterson)
Injera is the crepe-like bread made from the grain teff on which spicy Ethiopian food is served and eaten communally by hand. It’s a dining experience that many Americans savor.
“Americans love Ethiopian food,” says Ethiopian émigré Yeshimebeth “Tutu” Belay. “We use our hands to eat and we share — that’s the biggest thing. The outfits, the songs, the language and alphabet, all these things are attractions.”
Belay was determined to open her own business after moving to Washington in the late 1980s. “I knew if I did 8-to-5, I’d never accomplish my dream,” she explains.
She and husband Yehunie Belay, a well-known Ethiopian singer, first ran a restaurant in Washington’s historically African-American Shaw neighborhood. Eventually, she carved out her own business niche, compiling information on Ethiopian businesses, doctors, lawyers and others and soliciting advertisers for her Ethiopian Yellow Pages.
Yeshimebeth “Tutu” Belay, publisher of the Ethiopian Yellow Pages, displays her latest telephone directory. (State Dept./D.A. Peterson)
Her business directory, now a 600-page tome published annually, has expanded along with the area’s Ethiopian population.

Little Ethiopia

Many Ethiopians fled their homeland in the 1980s because of political turmoil and a famine that lasted from 1983 to 1985. In 1980, the U.S. Census Bureau counted just 10,000 Ethiopian immigrants. Three decades later, the census counted 251,000 Ethiopian immigrants and children. And while thousands have settled in Minneapolis, Seattle, Atlanta and other cities, the greater Washington area has the country’s largest concentration, with 35,000 residents of Ethiopian descent, according to the Migration Policy Institute. Some community leaders believe the number actually exceeds 200,000.

What draws so many Ethiopians to Washington?

“They know it’s the capital,” explains Tsehaye Teferra, president of the Ethiopian Community Development Council (ECDC), who earned a doctorate in sociolinguistics at Washington’s Georgetown University. “It has some resemblance to how migration happens in Ethiopia. Addis Ababa is the city of government, commerce and education. In the provinces, after high school, where do you go for employment or further training? The logical place is the capital.”
In Washington, many recent Ethiopian immigrants drive taxicabs and park cars. Bereket Woldu began working part time for Colonial Parking in college and rose to become senior vice president. Now an executive with Forge, Colonial’s parent company, Woldu estimates 10,000 Ethiopians have worked in Colonial’s ubiquitous parking lots and garages over the years, making it “one of the highest if not the highest employer of Ethiopians outside the homeland.”
Bereket Woldu, an executive at Colonial Parking’s parent company, poses outside the entrance to one of the firm’s many garages. (State Dept./D.A. Peterson)
“Birds of a feather flock together,” says Woldu, who notes it is a job that even those with limited English can perform. “You didn’t have to say much. If you smiled and said hello, your customer service ability overcame deficiencies in language.”
Heran Sereke-Brhan, deputy director of the Washington mayor’s Office on African Affairs, says Ethiopian Airlines’ direct flight to Washington from Addis Ababa also helps boost the region’s Ethiopian population. The airline began twice-a-week flights in 1998 and switched to daily service in 2010.
“Generations followed each other here,” Sereke-Brhan notes. For Ethiopians who encountered difficulties getting educational or professional credentials recognized, driving a taxi or taking other service jobs “is the default pattern if you have to make a living to support your family. People make ends meet, and it’s an honest day’s work.”
In the 1990s, Ethiopian restaurants helped revitalize Washington’s now-trendy Adams Morgan neighborhood. When rents became too pricey, many moved to the U Street area and contributed to the rejuvenation of that neighborhood.
The Vegetarian Combination Platter, offering different Ethiopian dishes, is a customer favorite at the Bati Restaurant and Lounge in Falls Church, Virginia. (State Dept./D.A. Peterson)
Dereje Desta publishes Zethiopia, a monthly newspaper for the region’s Ethiopian community. He says that while taxi drivers and parking-lot attendants “are more visible, a lot of Ethiopians are professionals. Go into the Patent Office and hospitals and you’ll hear Amharic spoken. Ethiopians are everywhere.”
Mike Endale, a vice president of BLEN Corp., a software development company founded by Ethiopians, thinks Ethiopian immigrants “have made the D.C. area much more vibrant.” Newer immigrants are “much more in tune with the American system by the time they land. They understand the value of credit lines and how to take out a loan. We’re entering the upper middle classes very easily now.”
Six diners — including waitress Lula, at right — enjoy a friendly meal together at the Bati Restaurant and Lounge in Falls Church, Virginia. (State Dept./D.A. Peterson)
Mehari Goytom just opened a restaurant and pastry shop in Build America Plaza called Viva Africa. It is open 16 hours a day. “This is the beginning. We must work hard,” says Goytom. “It’s good to live here. Here it’s freedom.”

A few storefronts away, that’s how Argay sees the future, too. “I have [the] American dream like everybody. I know one day I’ll be a success. God will help me. God bless America.”

10 comments:

  1. I came across many testimonies on net testifying of Dr Aziba a voodoo spell caster that will help you cast a LOTTERY spell and give you the rightful numbers to win the lottery, i didn't believe it, at first but as life got badder i decided to take a try, now my try has made me a millionaire, i have been playing all types of lottery since 7 years now but i have not win up to $1000,after contacting him he cast the spell and give me the hot figures behold i won(£ FOURTY MILLIONS POUNDS) now i am a living testimony of the good works of Dr Aziba A gifted man with a great powers, it is my secret but i decided to make the world known to it as it might be a help to any one who is interested, this happens last week ago you are free to contact him via email : priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2348100368288 .Am from United kingdom....yours faithful client George Ewumbua




    I came across many testimonies on net testifying of Dr Aziba a voodoo spell caster that will help you cast a LOTTERY spell and give you the rightful numbers to win the lottery, i didn't believe it, at first but as life got badder i decided to take a try, now my try has made me a millionaire, i have been playing all types of lottery since 7 years now but i have not win up to $1000,after contacting him he cast the spell and give me the hot figures behold i won(£ FOURTY MILLIONS POUNDS) now i am a living testimony of the good works of Dr Aziba A gifted man with a great powers, it is my secret but i decided to make the world known to it as it might be a help to any one who is interested, this happens last week ago you are free to contact him via email : priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2348100368288 .Am from United kingdom....yours faithful client George Ewumbua

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello everyone, my name is Alfreed siang  i am here to say a big thank you to my doctor DR OLU who helped me enlarge my penis.i have never had a happy relationship in my life because of my inability to perform well due to my small penis, due to frustration,i went online in search of solution to ending my predicament and than i came across testimony on how DR OLU has helped them, so i contacted him and he promised to help me with penis enlargement,i doubted at first but i gave him a trial and he sent me the product which i used according to his prescription and in less than a week,i saw changes in my penis and it grow to the size i wanted and since then,i am now a happy man and no lady complains again about my penis.if you also need the services of my doctor,you can also contact him on his email..drolusolutionhome@gmail.com   or his whataspp is +2348140654426

      Delete
    2. CONTACT THE BEST LOTTERY SPELL CASTER FOR THE RIGHT LOTTERY NUMBERS NOW HIS LOTTERY SPELL IS 100% GUARANTEE WHATSAPP +2348118829899
       
      Hello everyone am Raymond from Pennsylvania USA I want to share my wonderful testimony of how a powerful spell caster called Dr Great helped me to win lottery, i have been playing lottery for a long time now but I had no luck everything changed when I messaged Dr Great about winning the lottery he assured me that I will be the next winner he told me what to do and I did it and 24 hours later he sent me the lottery numbers and I played it I couldn't believe it I won $1,000,000 dollars it's was the best thing that have ever happened to me in my life. If you want to win a lottery WhatsApp or Call Dr Great on this number +2348118829899 or email him at infinitylovespell@gmail.com or infinitylovespell@yahoo.com 









      CONTACT THE BEST LOTTERY SPELL CASTER FOR THE RIGHT LOTTERY NUMBERS NOW HIS LOTTERY SPELL IS 100% GUARANTEE WHATSAPP +2348118829899
       
      Hello everyone am Raymond from Pennsylvania USA I want to share my wonderful testimony of how a powerful spell caster called Dr Great helped me to win lottery, i have been playing lottery for a long time now but I had no luck everything changed when I messaged Dr Great about winning the lottery he assured me that I will be the next winner he told me what to do and I did it and 24 hours later he sent me the lottery numbers and I played it I couldn't believe it I won $1,000,000 dollars it's was the best thing that have ever happened to me in my life. If you want to win a lottery WhatsApp or Call Dr Great on this number +2348118829899 or email him at infinitylovespell@gmail.com or infinitylovespell@yahoo.com 








      CONTACT THE BEST LOTTERY SPELL CASTER FOR THE RIGHT LOTTERY NUMBERS NOW HIS LOTTERY SPELL IS 100% GUARANTEE WHATSAPP +2348118829899
       
      Hello everyone am Raymond from Pennsylvania USA I want to share my wonderful testimony of how a powerful spell caster called Dr Great helped me to win lottery, i have been playing lottery for a long time now but I had no luck everything changed when I messaged Dr Great about winning the lottery he assured me that I will be the next winner he told me what to do and I did it and 24 hours later he sent me the lottery numbers and I played it I couldn't believe it I won $1,000,000 dollars it's was the best thing that have ever happened to me in my life. If you want to win a lottery WhatsApp or Call Dr Great on this number +2348118829899 or email him at infinitylovespell@gmail.com or infinitylovespell@yahoo.com 







      CONTACT THE BEST LOTTERY SPELL CASTER FOR THE RIGHT LOTTERY NUMBERS NOW HIS LOTTERY SPELL IS 100% GUARANTEE WHATSAPP +2348118829899
       
      Hello everyone am Raymond from Pennsylvania USA I want to share my wonderful testimony of how a powerful spell caster called Dr Great helped me to win lottery, i have been playing lottery for a long time now but I had no luck everything changed when I messaged Dr Great about winning the lottery he assured me that I will be the next winner he told me what to do and I did it and 24 hours later he sent me the lottery numbers and I played it I couldn't believe it I won $1,000,000 dollars it's was the best thing that have ever happened to me in my life. If you want to win a lottery WhatsApp or Call Dr Great on this number +2348118829899 or email him at infinitylovespell@gmail.com or infinitylovespell@yahoo.com 

      Delete
  2. Hi Guys….I just want to say a big thanks to ( Dr Ogbe ) for what he has done for me and my family by helping me to win lottery. I won Five Hundred and Thirty Three Million Us Dollars. (($533,000,000.00)). His lottery spell is the best and so amazing. My life is now balance and i am Now Very Rich As i have always wanted and i am out of doubt. Are you looking for a real and genuine spell caster to help you win big in any kind of lottery you play? you can contact DrOgbe , today all your plan to ever win Big in Lottery will Come True and work out well for you. His spell very real and genuine i can not still believe it And His spell also work very fast. Thank you so much Dr Ogbe for dedicating your time to cast the Lottery spell for me. I got my bills paid and my debt cleared and am still mega rich. If you need a real And Genuine spell caster to help you Win lottery,kindly contact him for fast and urgent Help Email: drogbeherbalcure5@gmail.com whatsapp numbers +2347063915230THANK YOU FOR READING

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. 188loto

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONTACT THE BEST LOTTERY SPELL CASTER FOR THE RIGHT LOTTERY NUMBERS NOW HIS LOTTERY SPELL IS 100% GUARANTEE WHATSAPP +2348118829899
     
    Hello everyone am Raymond from Pennsylvania USA I want to share my wonderful testimony of how a powerful spell caster called Dr Great helped me to win lottery, i have been playing lottery for a long time now but I had no luck everything changed when I messaged Dr Great about winning the lottery he assured me that I will be the next winner he told me what to do and I did it and 24 hours later he sent me the lottery numbers and I played it I couldn't believe it I won $1,000,000 dollars it's was the best thing that have ever happened to me in my life. If you want to win a lottery WhatsApp or Call Dr Great on this number +2348118829899 or email him at infinitylovespell@gmail.com or infinitylovespell@yahoo.com 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been married for 4years and i have a break up with my husband 1months ago and i was worried and so confuse because i love him so much. i was really going too depressed and a friend directed me to this spell caster Dr. Tunde and i made all my problems known to him and he told me not to worry that he was going to make my husband to come back to me and in just 48hours i receive a call from my husband and he was appealing that i should come back to the house. i have never in my life believe in spell and but now it have just helped me and i am now so happy. All Thanks to him and if you also want to have your Husband back or your lover to yourself here !! his email Address. babatundesolutioncentre1@gmail. com or you can reach him on via WhatsApp mobile number or call him on +2348143581382 i am so happy to testify of your work and kindness Also specialize in treating all kinds of illness, HERPES VIRUS, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, BRAIN DISEASE, INFERTILITY, DIABETES AND MORE

    ReplyDelete
  6. My life Miracle wonders testimony, How I got a very powerful box  that's now double my money from a hundred to a thousand of  money within 24hours, and also how I got my ex lover back, the main reason I contacted Dr Lomi for help was for me to get back my ex lover, then he helps me with is powerful power to bring back my ex lover, and she loves and cherish me now, then me and Dr Lomi became friends, after some conversation I ask him if there is a way he can do a spell for me to get money, that was when he told me about this magic box, he told me there are different types and size of the box, he told me all the type of box, I could only afford the smallest of the box, after the necessary prayer he does on the box, he sends it to me through a delivery service, he told me I should put money inside, I put inside the box 100 euro after 24 hours I found out it was 10 thousand euro inside, and I have been using the box for 7 months now, me and my fiancé are living the best life, if you need back your lover or money spell contact Dr Lomi on email: lomiultimatetemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp number  +2349034287285 he will help you out, thank you for reading

    Best Regards Gerd Ulrich

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost lost my marriage because my husband was cheating on me, this went on for a year, cause i wasn't sure until he asked for a divorce and left the house. I was shocked, this made me so sick, i couldn't concentrate in any area for days, kept thinking and i started drinking. I needed help so bad that i asked a friend for advice and so she recommended Dr. ODIBOH DADA to me who assured me he could help me and so i did what he asked me to do and he told me my husband would change his mind and that he will make him come back to me and also stop him from the spirit of cheating, so i trusted him and after 7 days time my husband came home begging me to forgive him for the hurt he caused me and the kids, he wanted to be my husband and father to our kids again. I never believed that there were still powerful people on earth like Dr. ODIBOH who can still help solve problems. I'm forever grateful for his help and recommend him for help for whatever your problem should be, you can reach him directly via his email (odibohsolutionhome@gmail.com) or better still through his whatsapp number +2347048883838..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello all my viewers My name is Cindy white from USA!I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the mega million .I am a woman who believe that one day I will win the mega million finally my dreams come through when I email Dr Odiboh and i tell him I need the lottery numbers because I have spend so much money buying tickets just to make sure I win.But I never know that winning of the mega million was not easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has testify about that he is a very great lottery spell caster who gives wining number with his black magics power,so I decide to give it a try,I contacted him and i explain myself to him he did a spell for me and he gave me the winning lottery numbers which i use to play .But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners i wining 3 million usd dollar with the number which Dr Odiboh Dada gave me, truly Dr Odiboh you are the best, you are the greatest Dr i ever see. people talk about black magics i never believe about it until dr Odiboh made me believe. Anyone who is willing to win the lottery please contact dr Odiboh for help .I am so very happy to have contacted Dr Odiboh who help me to win the mega million ,I will be forever grateful to him, in case you need help to winning lottery you should contact him odibohsolutionhome@gmail.com or him? @WHATSAP +2347048883838.. i am Cindy white form Florida city-spring Hill (USA) publishing this article any problem conact dr Odiboh Dada. 1. reading of spell 2. DIVORCE SPELL. 3. WINNING LOTTERIES . 4. BREAKING OF GENERATION COURSE. 5. GETTING OF JOB. 6. CHILD BEARING. 7. MONEY SPELL. 8. CURING OF HIV AND MANY MORE. 9. HERBAL CARE. 10. BEAUTY SPELL. 11. ATTRACTION SPELL. 12. BUSINESS CHARMS. 12 PENIS AND BREAST ENLARGEMENT

    ReplyDelete

Feature video